[3830] SS CW K7XC(@WA5FWC) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7xc_tx@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7XC(@WA5FWC) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 21:04:19 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: WA5FWC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Venus, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 6.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:    1
   20:  339
   15:   20
   10:    0
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

I finished repairing my 1990 Ford Ranger by late Friday evening after spending 2
days on it. With a working vehicle once again, I was able to travel to my friend
Gary �" WA5FWC's place to operate the 2014 SS CW.

My lady Rosie and I got a late start leaving the house Sat Morning causing us
to miss any chance to operate on Saturday. We spent the night in a motel and
finally arrived at the station around 9:45AM Sunday.

Happy to finally get there after all the delays earlier, it took me another 2
1/2 hours to work my way through configuring the new N1MM+ software and his
brand new Yeasu HF radio which had yet to be setup for CW contesting.

None of the USB to serial adapters worked so we finally fan down to Radio Shack
and bought a new one. That did the trick... once my fatigued brain remembered to
reboot the computer so the new drivers would load.

I finally made it on the air at 1842Z and didn't move from the chair for more
than 2 mins at a time for the next 6 ½ Hours. When I couldn't stand it anymore
(I was dead tired and started making all kinds of stupid mistakes) I gave up
with 90 mins left to go home and watch the 2nd half Steelers game on TV.  THEY
WON!!! BALTIMORE LOST!!!! GO STEELERS!!!

All told and done... I worked 3 days non stop at work, then all of Thurs and
Fri to fix the Ford Ranger PU. Followed by some last minute issues Sat morning
causing our departure to be delayed 4 hours, Arriving at the motel late Sat
evening. I was so exhausted and had no choice but take a nap which removed any
possibility of gaining access to the station to operate Sat night... Another
late start Sun morning... its amazing we got there at all...

So... 6 1/2 hours of spectacular non stop runs of 70+ per hour or better was
alot of fun, but very taxing as I had to learn a new radio and use a tiny
keyboard I had never seen before, making me stumble and curse... Baptism under
Fire to say the least! As beat up physically and dead tired I was when I
started, The contest gave me what it always does, The best challenge a CW
operator can ever have!

With all the BS it took to get on the air, those 6 1/2 hours were worth all the
money, time, and physical pain to make it happen... Those 7 hours I was on the
air, Gary's station KICKED BUTT! The New Antennas, Radio, And Amplifier WORK!
Thanks to Gary and his wife for hosting me again this year!

I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
for amateur radio in my country. My report is correct and true to the best of
my knowledge. I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Contest Committee.

73s de Tim - K7XC - EM12ur... sk

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler…Albert
Einstein