[3830] SS SSB WB4OMM SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb4omm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WB4OMM SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 03:18:32 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB4OMM
Operator(s): WB4OMM
Station: WB4OMM

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:
   80:   43
   40:   74
   20:  215
   15:  370
   10:   48
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Yaesu FT-2000, Heil ProSetPlus,AT-1000Pro, HP Compaq dc7800 MiniTower dual core;
A3S Beam with 10M/15M/20M/40M at 38', Yaesu G-450A Rotator; 280' 40M/80M loop at
35'. N3FJP contest software.
The start of the contest Saturday night was horrible.

Right after I started, I experienced sporadic S8 noise on almost every band for
10-15 minutes at a time…and to add to the problem, my internet connection kept
“dropping” and that would require restarting the computer to get it back
connected (which meant I sat in front of a computer monitor doing nothing for
several minutes at a time, multiple times during the evening).  It seemed like
my 100W and beam weren’t connected either.  Everyone I called took several
times, and they kept getting my call wrong!!  (KB4, OM, MM, whatever).  After
what seemed like a herculean effort, I got down to just needing a few for the
sweep around 10:00 pm local time.  Then I tried to get SFL (just down the
road).  Saw one spotted, could barely hear him….no other spots.  I called on
and off for almost 45 minutes and gave up.  Then saw a WCF (just across the
state).  Heard him pretty good, was about an S4.  Called him for an hour.  No
dice.  By 12:00 am local , I was worn out, had a whopping 175 Qs, and needed
SFL, WCF, HI and MAR.  Never heard or saw a sport for either the HI or MAR all
night.  I went to bed very frustrated and disappointed.

I got up at 9am the next morning, still tired with a headache.  I almost
didn’t got out to the shack.  Boy oh boy, am I glad I did!

Somewhere in the ether, the powers to be musta’ seen my disappointment.
Started making Qs, and lo and behold, I could hold a frequency with my measly
100W and 40’ tower mounted beam!!  I ran on 10, 15 and 20 M.  15M was
especially kind….I worked MAR on the first Q, then spotted HI on 10M, and SFL
and WCF called me!  Unbelievable!  The bands were quiet and signals great!  The
computer ran flawless, the internet stayed connected, and I would up with 750
Qs and a sweep by the end of the contest.

Ya’ just never can tell what will happen in one of these contests.  While I
didn’t break my SE Division record score in my category from last year
(SOULP), I did well enough to at least feel comfortable.  And I got the sweep!

I hope everyone did well and had fun!  73, Steve WB4OMM