[3830] SS SSB K6JEB SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6jeb@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6JEB SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 04:11:14 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6JEB
Operator(s): K6JEB
Station: K6JEB

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: EB
Operating Time (hrs): 23:58

------------
  160:    0
   80:   64
   40:   46
   20:   63
   15:  298
   10:   89
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I wasn't expecting to crack five hundred Q's after the CW weekend of Sweepstakes
this year.  Saturday was sort of OK but Saturday morning I had a few nice, slow
but steady runs on 15m, which was in decent shape.

The last section I worked for Clean Sweep was the Virgin Islands with K9VV/KP2
(thank you!).

For this contest I ran a Yaesu FT-857D into a (borrowed, thank you N6DQ &
K6YL!) Tokyo HY-Power HL-550FX running 500 watts.  Antennas:  Cushcraft A3S
Yagi up 10m, ground-mounted Butternut HF-9V vertical, and my low-slung delta
loop cut for 30m but used on 80m and 40m.  I ran N1MM and this is the first
time I've done Digital Voice Keying outside of Writelog.  I did have some
struggles with VOX timing cutting-off the first letter or some of callsigns.

Thanks to all those who spotted me.  I also tried returning the favor by
posting spots when I was doing S&P, hopefully more than a few of you peanut
whistles in rarer sections (you know who you are).

It was great hearing AD0EE on the air later Saturday night since he got a
pretty serious visit from Murphy (you read his 3830 wrap-up!).  Basically, he
got to South Dakota after driving across Minnesota to operate, and his rig
would work fine in other modes but not in SSB.  So K0BBC and his fellow MWA
members helped him get on the air.  It's a better story when you hear it from
Bill, AE0EE.

For me, I usually have a little reward for a Clean Sweep or other goals.  I was
stoked when I got the Clean Sweep but it was actually too early for me to open a
beer, so I decided that would be the reward for 500 Q's.  That was one tasty
beer!  But I pressed-on!  :)

Note to self in the future:  get those antennas up higher, get something
directional on 40m, work on the local QRM issue with the idiots up the street
with the light ballast that make 40m almost unusable, work on the VOX delay
issues (but also have a better PTT solution . . . foot-switches are a bit
tiresome), re-record WAV files for DVK, a rig with a roofing filter, an
auto-tuner for the low-band antennas for better frequency agility,
noise-cancelling headphones (because the passive ones are good, but more is
needed being a dog owner), replace that crappy second wireless headset with one
that works because roaming about the house listening is essential, SO2R!, get a
better noise antenna to use with the ANC-4.