[3830] SS SSB K3YDX SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3YDX SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:48:34 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3YDX
Operator(s): K3YDX
Station: K3YDX

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:
   80:   75
   40:  146
   20:  133
   15:   52
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It may be true that old age and treachery win over youth in real life but not
amateur radio.  Despite being slightly ahead of K3TN Sunday afternoon, he
endured and walloped me by the end.  I noticed on Saturday night about 11 pm
local I was not being heard by anyone and the SWR on my hastily erected tree
supported dipole was all over the place.  Despite the cold and dark I ventured
forth with flashlight to discover that one leg of the antenna was on the
ground.  Managed a quick repair and finished off a few Q's then off to sleep.

Used N1MM + and am still learning.  Apologies for leaving the spot all S&P
QSO's checked while running on 40 meters Sunday afternoon; thanks Mike for the
alert.

Despite spotting assistance I managed only 78 sections despite seeing spots and
checking for AK, PAC, NT, PR, and SB.  I kept checking KL7AIR, where I learned
the code when it was the MARS station in the 60's and I was about 12 years old,
but their signal never came up.  Never heard PR or SB.

Not sure why the multiplier window was telling me I had 78 of 0 (zero) sections
and not certain I had the telnet/bandmap configured correctly.

I keep telling myself these events are fun and that's why I do it but I am
starting to feel like the guy whipping his back with barbed wire by Sunday
night.  Also the Redskins sterling performance did nothing to bolster my mood!

Thanks for the Q's and 73
Hank