[3830] SS SSB W7YAQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W7YAQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 19:08:44 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Sisters OR
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:
   80:   86
   40:  167
   20:  209
   15:  260
   10:  334
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Note to self:  Metal contracts as temperature cools.

After an 18-inch snowfall Friday, the temperature Sunday morning dropped to
minus 10 here in central Oregon.  I was happily running stations on 10 meters
around 1800 UTC when the SWR on the Steppir went through the roof.  Fortunately
around 1600 I had found DE, NL, and VI for the sweep.  So decided to take a
breakfast break and maybe just pull the big switch.

After breakfast though, I yielded to the temptation to get on again, and since
the K3 has a fine tuner, I was able to load up the 80 meter V on 10 meters. I
worked a dozen or so big guns at a 15 Q/hr rate before the frustration set in.
So took another break while pondering a snowshoe trip to the tower.  Bundled up,
buckled the snowshoes on, and headed out with my trusty MFJ259.  Fortunately the
Steppir was resonating properly, and fortunately I had 2 runs of hardline to the
tower.  So I connected the Steppir to the other line and all was well for the
rest of the contest.  I’ll fix the bad connector before CQWW CW, hopefully in
somewhat warmer weather.

Sure enjoyed working all those new licensees that showed up for this contest.
No excuses for missing KL7 and VE8/VY1 this year!!  Great activity from up
North!

Thanks to the ARRL for providing the opportunity to meet and greet so many
friends in one weekend!

73,
Bob W7YAQ
CK 54