[3830] SS SSB K9CT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@k9ct.us
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K9CT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:18:03 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K9CT
Station: K9CT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  239
   40:  950
   20:  123
   15:  194
   10:  148
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Conditions were fairly good just need to figure out what band to be on quickly
enough to generate rate. The hardest hours for me are the first couple until we
can get everyone on 40m. Other than spinning my wheels for the first couple of
hours, it was a good contest.

I was favorably impressed with the Sunday activity compared to the cw weekend.
It seemed like there were many new players and better rates. I noticed that
some hams would listen for a long time before calling for their first QSO. They
would say they were not in the contest but I would help them understand the
exchange and make the qso. Later three of them came back and duped me! No
problem....they were using paper logging.

This was by far the fastest SWEEP I have ever gotten. VY1JA stopped by for QSO
#21 and asked if I needed NT...hi. My last mult was AR at 0520Z preceded by SK
at 0210Z. Of course, worked many others afterward. I love the elation of
getting the sweep...something very special about SS. Thanks to all the guys
that get the rarer sections on as it is very much appreciated. It wasn't that
long ago, NT, NL, NNY, ND, NE, VI, and KP4 could be hard to find.

I noticed lots of QRP and M stations on the air as well. You have to hand to
these guys to fight it out with 5 watts. The M stations are getting a lot of
newcomers on the air....the future of contesting. Schools were out in force as
well. It was great to work my alma mater, W9JWC.

No sense in posting about nets and intentional QRM...we all have our own sad
story to tell. Too bad we can't share the bands for a few hours of fun.

My goal this time was to best the U record if possible in IL and maybe the
Division. I have made more qsos in SS but this was still a good effort for me.
Phone is not as much fun as cw for me any more. My ears seem to ring for hours.

I used N1MM Plus and was very happy with its performance. It was cool to work
N1MM and some of the other programmers in SS. My hats are off to them for not
only doing the hard work but having some fun with their product.

2 - K3/P3
MK2R+
RadioSport headset
2 40m dipoles 35' & 45'
1 80m dipole
(some other antennas as well in a Stackmatch)
2 Alpha 87A
N1MM Plus