[3830] SS SSB KE3X(@N3HBX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenke3x@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KE3X(@N3HBX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 03:07:43 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Clarksburg, MD
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  262
   40:  152
   20:  108
   15:  134
   10:   72
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to John Evans N3HBX for the use of his superb Clarksburg station again
this year!  Everything worked great and the low bands were fairly quiet.   Was
a bit nervous about missing AK and NT right up until the last two hours but
finally got them.

I entered QRP but approached this event just as if I were running HP, except
for some choices of where and when to pick a CQ frequency.   Run rates of
15/hour and S&P'ing at 15/hour for 24 hours sure felt like the 'QRP
Tortoise', but after checking DX Summit today I note I was spotted a few times
so that clearly helped.   On 10, 40 and 80 I was usually able to hold a run
frequency in the 'non peak hours', but on 15 and 20 I never got any traction.

All year I have been challenging myself in SO2R to keep a CQ going 100% of the
time across a single event, and this one probably approached 75% ... better but
still lots of room for improvement.   Also picked up some Multi-Focal contact
lenses which helped avoid headaches from reading glasses under the Heil headset
- did not feel nearly as tired Monday AM as a result.

Will completely miss CQWW CW due to family commitments over Thanksgiving
weekend - have fun!

73 to all,

Ken KE3X

N3HBX/Clarksburg Station:

10/15/20:  stacked monobanders on Tower 1, one more each band on Tower 2
40:  2L at 80'
80:  2L at 130', Inv-V
Various beverages and wires
2 x FT-1000MP's at 5 watts