[3830] SS SSB KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 05:18:48 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82cg
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
  160:    0
   80:   78
   40:  110
   20:  137
   15:   40
   10:    6
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The mostly high static didn't seem to slow things down, but somehow I just
couldn't make the rates I did last year, and fell far short of a personal best.
 I had a lot of fun, though.  A high point was K5NZ telling me I'm a madman
running QRP in SS SSB.  Another was losing my CQ frequency on 20m in under 20
seconds.  I heard Hank N8XX in there for an instant, and put a lot of MRRC-ers
in the log, but couldn't remember any of the club on-air meeting times and
places that I had heard mentioned.

I hope I wasn't distorted.  Many people complimented my signal, even after I
asked about distortion, but I still worry.  Before the contest I recorded my
sound using the memories in the rig as I adjusted the mic gain and compression.
 Mic gain would quickly distort the sound so I left it on 2, but the compression
control seemed to make the audio a lot louder without too much distortion, so it
stayed on 6 or 7 throughout the contest.

40m was nicely open but nobody could hear me over the din.  20m was the same
way during the day.  Somehow I managed to squeeze into enough spaces, call
others at precise times (usually first), and even have one run of 16 Q's at 72
wpm in getting as far as I did.  I heard VE8EV in the first hour but he had a
pileup I could not crack.  I missed VI, PR, NT, and QC similarly, and didn't
even hear PAC and AK.  There was an Elvis-like slapback echo on 15 and maybe 20
meters for considerable periods.

I worked hard for almost every Q, and I thank everyone who worked with me to
rack up my score.  I hope to put you all in the log next time.  It wil be big
fun.  73 de kt8k - Tim

rig: Orion w. WGA TR2000 headset (footswitch operated), N1MM software
antennas:
- 20/40/80 triple dipole, apex up about 55 feet
- Cushcraft A-3 tribander driven element suspended vertically in trees, feed
point at about 65 feet
- ~500 foot horizontal loop fed by TV twin lead and an LDG Z-11 autotuner