[3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:30:18 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 23.8
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  112
   40:  410
   20:  539
   15:  369
   10:  137
------------

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Hesston College ARC fielded a team of five students and two instructors for the
2014 Sweepstakes. The team included aviation students Megan, Trevor, and
Michael, and Computer Science students Brady and Micah. The five students and
Ken, an aviation instructor (all unlicensed, yet!), practiced logging and
talking during Thursday evening practice sessions. They also had good on-air
practice sessions during the California QSO Party and the W1AW/0 Kansas
operating event earlier this month.

We started off fast and really enjoyed 10 and 15 meters. The bands were so busy
that we didn't have time to work many second radio contacts for fear of losing
our run frequency. Trevor and Ken tried it first with logging help from me,
then Trevor went on to "solo" the station.

Brady and Micah also made an excellent team and were exceptional loggers,
probably thanks to many hours of pounding out computer programs! Megan listened
in and decided to wait until things slowed down a bit, so she volunteered to
bake some pies for the team. XYL, Lorna, was happy to help out. Yes, the pies
were terrific, but so was Megan when she got on for the evening shift. With
Megan talking and Trevor logging, rates picked up dramatically. On Sunday,
Michael, Ken and Megan traded positions to finish out the contest. Everyone
enjoyed working 17 (S)chool stations (the same as last year) and took the time
to chat a bit.

The "Sweep" is also a student favorite as we try to earn the famous
Clean Sweep mug. We had 82 sections when we quit for the "night",
needing only NL to finish up. Sunday morning at 1405Z, VO1MP was very loud on
20m. We broke the pileup with only two calls to put #83 away. Later, VO1BQ
called us on 10m as did several from NT. This year, the final five countdown
went ONN, ND, PAC, VI, and NL. We had two singleton sections, SK and VI. Our
"Sunday Sweep" attempt came up short NM, NT and SK (all not heard),
and VI (heard but already worked).

Several of our team members are graduating, others are already talking about
next year. Thank you all for being there for them this weekend and helping to
introduce them to one aspect of our wonderful hobby. See you all in 2015!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC