[3830] SS SSB K3CCR Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3CCR Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:41:35 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:   79
   40:  209
   20:  215
   15:   88
   10:   40
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington retirement community.

In SSB SS this year we split 24 hours roughly equally between
N3UM and W3GB in ~4 to 5 hr. shifts. N3UM started, running on 15,
but went to 20 m. after 1 hr. when rate dropped.  On 20, there
were good runs in 2 of the next 4 hours.  Propagation was OK
but not great, and unstable.  N3UM finished the first shift at
~02 Z with 210 Qs, ~60 to 100 less than he made in the first
5 hours the last 3 years.  When W3GB finished the second shift
at ~08 Z we were pleased to have found 74 sections but the QSO
total was a couple of hundred below what we'd hoped for.  It was
hard to get any runs going on 40 or 80.

Running went better on 40 Sun. AM for N3UM: good rates for 2 hrs.
1230-1430 Z.  And,  by 15 Z we picked up 6 sections for a total of
80.  We were elated to find the last 3 sections for a sweep:
AL on 15 at 1714 Z, PAC on 10 at 1845 Z, and QC on 40 at 2323 Z
with ~2:20 to go.  We were #160 for VE2EN: he was under a roaring
pileup, which took a few minutes to break. In the last hours we
heard several stations sadly calling "CQ Quebec".

Between 1530 Z Sun. and the end of our 24 hrs. at 0145 Z, neither
of us could get a run to last more than ~10 min. on any band.
Our rates were 16-20 QSOs in most hours, tuning or clicking on
spots when brief runs ended. This slow Sun. afternoon and the
uneven running conditions Sat. night held our QSO total to a
just-OK 631 in 24 hours.  We hope to get 1.5 to 2 times as many
QSOs next year.