[3830] CQWW CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:09:17 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ -- DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:  268    17       45
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were not very good from this part of the world where most DX is
really DX distance away.

At the first EU sunrise there was a small lift from the grayline passing over
eastern EU but nada from western EU.

The first morning the signals to JA were decent but the band was noisy in that
direction.  I had difficulty hearing many weak callers.

The 2nd night there was almost no propagation to EU.  A few, sporadic, almost
spotlight, contacts were made to random areas.

The second morning path to JA did not open until near 1300Z but worked decently
until local sunrise at 1400Z.  Signals were never very strong, and perhaps 80%
of the contacts required multiple requests for call sign fills.  The signals
were mostly at the noise floor with QSB peaks lasting but a few seconds.

This was the first outing for a new phased array which is not complete.  The RF
part is working but the switching of directions is still to be completed.

Consequently, the first half of each night (until EU sunrise) the direction was
selected northeast for EU.  This choice made it particularly difficult to work
the Carribean, and Central and South American stations.  I was unable to work
3-4 normally easy mults due to the signals being at 90 degrees to the EU
azimuth.

At EU sunrise/JA sunset I used a flashlight and walked to the switching point
of the array.  I made cabling changes to provide directionality to the array
for the JA azimuth (northwest).  This choice deleted the opportunity to perhaps
pick up ZL, VK and other Zone/Country mults from the South Pacific.

All in all it was a good outing.  Thanks for all the Q's, and an apology if I
was an alligator this time around.

CU all in the ARRL 160 in just 5 days.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP