[3830] CQWW CW K0ZR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0ZR SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 01:40:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0ZR
Operator(s): K0ZR
Station: K0ZR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   19     7        8
   80:  213    18       59
   40:  678    24       83
   20:  692    30       83
   15:  487    27       89
   10:  724    22       87
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were very favorable this year, although each time I checked 160 m
there was little to no activity so that was disappointing.  This was the first
contest I have operated SO2R and I must say it was a hoot.  It certainly takes
some practice if you really have "full auto" engaged in both the
hardware and logging software.  It is disappointing, however, to see with this
advancement some accompanying poor operating skills.  I "lost my run
frequency" several times when I left it unoccupied too long; it was
"my fault" so I found another frequency.  Other operators however,
would come back to "their frequency" minutes after I had started
working it and just start calling CQ on top of me.  Extremely poor/discourteous
behavior.  They too should have gone and found another frequency as I did
multiple times.

I decided several weeks ago to purchase a K3 and it ended up being delivered
Tuesday, Nov 25.  I thought I would work on it some over the next several days,
never intending to get it completed until sometime in December.  I ended up
getting it calibrated Thanksgiving morning and "in the shack" for
this contest.  I still have much to learn about the settings so they come
second nature in the heat of a contest.  I was thankful I spent the extra money
on the 8-pole filters! Operating with the new radio ( used now as my second
radio ) was fun, although the assembly into the wee morning hours Wednesday and
Thursday caught up with me Sunday morning.

I bettered my QSO count and final score compared to last years which helped
with the satisfaction of the entire event.