[3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 04:19:17 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1283    37      110
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1283    37      110  Total Score = 515,235

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This test started out slower than expected. Friday night, I expected a good run
into Japan/Asia but it never really materialized. Instead there was a constant,
but low rate, stream across Russia and into northern Europe. It finally petered
out about 8:30PM local and I headed to bed about 9:30PM with an early alarm.
(You get to sleep doing single bands <grin>.) In the morning, there was
good activity from Europe and when the sun rose, things started hopping. I was
having good runs and the memory of the slow start Friday night was fading fast.

Then, it started. S5-7 noise. I don't know what it was but it came and went for
a while, then became non-stop. I couldn't run because it was a fight to hear
anybody under S5. I became an alligator, all mouth and no ears. So, I had no
choice but to S&P, only working the louder stations. After two hours, the
noise finally went away. I figure I took a 100+Q hit because of the noise. The
rest of Saturday was normal. The expected run into Japan/Asia didn't
materialize for Saturday either. They were there and it was better than Friday
but not in the numbers I was hoping for. In the end, I expect the good
conditions on 10 and 15 drew off the low power (50watt) JA's to the higher
bands. Thankfully, Europe
was accessible for 3/4 of the day and helped make up some of the deficit.
Again, it was an early night.

Sunday morning didn't start quite as early. The stations were still there but
they were the louder ones. It would take daylight before getting into the
second tier. Like Saturday morning, the runs were good. Fortunately, the noise
from Saturday did not reappear and it was fun morning with good rates. During
those runs, a few surprises checked in all during the same 30 minute period;
7Z1SJ, VU4KV, and VU2JOS. That was nice. The afternoon was spent trying to coax
something out of SE Asia and Oceania. I came up short on zones; 30, 36,and 37.
Thirty should have been a no-brainer but I didn't hear a VK all weekend. That
would have been a double-mult. Had a DU3/ that wouldn't stay around either
after a couple repeat requests. That's a third missed mult.

It was a good test and lots of fun. Thanks to all who participated.