[3830] CQWW CW ZS4TX(@ZS9X) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ZS4TX(@ZS9X) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:15:10 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZS4TX
Operator(s): ZS4TX
Station: ZS9X

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 2190    36      116
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Great start - ZL, KL7 , TF and a few more difficult zones and mults in the log
very early and on track to a good score compared to previous attempts.

With imminent AC supply load shedding I was ready with a generator to cover for
the planned 4-6 hours without mains supply.

The 15m band stayed open pretty much all night but at 01Z on Sunday the rate
fell flat so I slept for 2 hours. When I woke up at 03Z [05 local] the band was
already wide open again to the East and over the North pole that provided quite
a few surprises on Saturday morning.

Sad end - Unfortunately we must have had a power surge during the off time and
the amplifier indicated a fault when I started to call. The backup amp was also
suddenly not working and I attempted a few minutes of low power CQ's and then
gave up as the new line noise on the site became too much for the noise
blanker.

Propagation was exceptional with huge echo's evident on most polar paths and
W6's, W7's, VE7's and KH6's very loud in the local early hours.  At times I
could not decode the VE7's due to a very raspy echo on their North pole path
signals. Good long path signals from PJ2, ZL, JA, W1,2,3 and a ~1 second delay
echo from some ZS stations!

Worked a few EU stations on the low bands Sunday night from my home station but
those QSO's are not listed here.

Thanks for all the contacts.  See you next year!

Bernie, ZS4TX