[3830] CQWW CW WO1N SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WO1N SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 04:42:47 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  153    16       67
   40:  325    26       93
   20:  371    32       94
   15:  355    31      102
   10:  389    30      105
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : Ftdx5000, N1MM, C3-SS@38', 40M Dipole@45', 80M Vert Dipole

Pretty amazing conditions! Second year operating from home QTH. Other than
putting
the station back together over the past few months, learning the FT5K,
tweaking
the 40M dipole so the center is up a true 45' and resetting/re-roping the 80M
vertical dipole, not much else was done. Going on year 5 of living with a
50 KHz switcher destroying 160M and making 80M not much fun, so I didn't
stress
about not having a 160 antenna. I know it is emanating from a group of 3
houses
or 12 business condos, all located within 400' of my QTH, but I can't get any
closer.

The benchmark goal for a good effort seems to be 35 hours and 1500Q's from the
home
station. Went with that. Conditions were so good that I reached 1500Q's at
20:44Z
and then spent the rest of the time DXing. So much fun. The reality is I don't
have
enough antenna to get a run going on 40M at that time of the day and 20M
seemed
pretty worked out, so DXing is my only option. The effort was worth one all
time new
country and 6 new band countries. Or, stated another way, those last 93Q's were
good
for about 90 mults.

N1MM says just short of 36 hours. Slept both nights when the rate drops below
20.
Was able to stay in the chair all day Sunday with only a short break for a
small
bite to eat. Started setting new goals, first 425 total mults, then 2.5M then
was just having fun. If I could find another 5 hours in this old body....

A bit of a visit from Murphy at the start, had a DX log open in N1MM to make a
few
Q's before the contest, switched over to the contest log, go to make the first
Q and
the computer would not key the radio! Exited N1MM and then restarted and all
was in
order. At that point I grab the rotor control to spin the beam and nothing!
First
time that's ever happened. Took about a minute of rocking the switches before
it
started turning. No problems after those little panics.

Best rates Saturday 105/102/90 and on Sunday 123/120/113 (10/15/20 in that
order for
both sets of numbers). These are by far the highest rates ever from this
station.
Let me just say, the FT5K filters work.

In general operators all over the world were very courteous and signals were
very
clean. I was very cautious about grabbing a CQ frequency, generally 2 question
marks,
then a QRL? and then I would begin CQing. I still managed to piss off a YO2
somehow
who let go with about 10 minutes of constant CQing which did not slow me down
at
all and I think I forced the WK1Q guys to have to move at some point. Sorry
about
that, it could have been me! I only had about 3 dupes call in and maybe a 1/2
dozen
0 pointers. Total Q count was 1599 (doh!).

Super fun, let's do it again soon,

Ken
WO1N