[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 18:15:39 +0000

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

CQ-WW-CW SUMMARY SHEET
           OPERATING TIME: 40:28:08
            CQ COUNTER: 2086
            RUN/SEARCH: 825/1251 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 1397

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.246 http://www.tr4w.com

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160CW         68           67      160        34        11
  80CW        121          120      320        64        20
  40CW        320          316      913        77        27
  20CW        409          407     1154       110        35
  15CW        561          559     1619       108        32
  10CW        597          593     1728       111        32

 Totals      2076         2062     5894       504       157

    Final Score = 3895934 points.

                             2014 CQ-WW-CW N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1     1     2     5     5     3    17
   Canada calls =    21    18    14    22    15    14   104
       NA calls =    17    19    15    31    28    28   138
       SA calls =     8     9     7    27    31    35   117
     Euro calls =    19    64   255   252   412   453  1455
  African calls =     2     4     8    16    13    16    59
    Asian calls =     0     1    11    34    17    10    73
    Japan calls =     0     2     4    16    29    22    73
    Ocean calls =     0     3     4     6    11    16    40

    Total calls =    68   121   320   409   561   597  2076

I'm reminded of the story about John D. Rockefeller, who used
to visit African-American churches on his travels.  One Sunday,
after the collection plate made its way around the building,
the preacher announced "Today's collection is $3.42.  If the
bill from the gentleman sitting in the back of the church
is good, then the collection is $103.42." ... While calling
CQ high in the band Sunday afternoon, I was answered by a
station signing VU4KV, which would be an all time new one.

Even if the QSO turns out to have been with Andaman Slim,
there certainly was a lot of good DX being worked this past
weekend.

I've been busy out-of-town recently helping my father move
into assisted living. So, I didn't have much time before
the contest to get fully acquainted with my new second radio,
a Tec-Tec Eagle.  I just installed N4PY software to enable
the Eagle to be used with a remote tuning knob.  Everything
seemed to be working of the first 24 hours, although I
noticed that occasionally the automatic band decoding
from the computer had the antennas on the wrong radios when
I switched bands.  I took a couple hours off the second nigh
to sleep and decided to power down the station. Big mistake!
The rigs and N4PY need to be powered on / loaded in a
particular sequence and I didn't take time to do the
sequencing - just turned all the switched on.  As a result,
the automatic computerized band switching led to both
rigs being on the same antenna and the new Eagle bit the
dust!  I spent some time off-and-on trying to trouble shoot
it, no luck.  I removed it, and replaced it with the old
second Orion, which has had some transmitting issues. Now,
the logging program kept crashing on loading because it
couldn't find the right ports.  I finally reinstalled
TR4W to obtain a working, but incomplete INI file and then
used it as a guide to patch the complete, but now disfunctional
INI file for the contest.

The second day I spent using the second Orion to spot stations
on a second band and writing down the frequency to await
an opportune time to switch bands and hope the needed stations
were still there.  Had some success with that process, but
not as much fun as true second-radio interleaving of QSOs.

The second morning there was some deliberate QRM again on
ten meters. In the SSB contest, over 50kHz was wiped out
by a digital source for a few hours.  This CW contest,
I encountered a similar broadband mess above 2l8125
when I went to 10m at 1414z.

160 was really quiet when I went there at 0245z the second
night - was nice to work Europeans on the first call with
100w.  When I came back at 0345z, the signals were not
as good, and I didn't hear any great signals from Europe
at their sunrise, so I went to bed.  Refer back to see what
happened when I got up.  If only 160 had stayed full of
signals!

I had twelve 6 banders, and my best hour on 15 was 145.

All of my antennas and rotors seemed to work ok this time
around.  Hopefully the repairs to the new radio won't take
too long. I (we) keep expecting conditions to take a big
down turn, but maybe we can keep things going 'just a little
bit longer.'