[3830] CQWW CW WI9WI SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WI9WI SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 18:29:44 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   11     7        8
   80:   26    10       23
   40:   64    18       53
   20:  138    27       85
   15:  144    32       84
   10:  142    30       89
------------------------------
Total:  525   124      342  Total Score = 672,904

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

After operating for an hour or so from home in Madison Friday night as N9FJ, we
made the 250 mile drive to the cabin Saturday. When we got there it was 25 deg
(F) inside and 34 outside. After getting the place warmed up I spent Saturday
evening DXing, not really contesting, by shooting spots and doing some S&P.
I went to bed with about 250 QSOs and over 300 mults. Sunday morning I did a bit
of running on 10 and 15 then went back to DXing mode. It was a relaxing way to
spend a few hours on a weekend.

I had one of the better lid moments, and there have been many, of my 56 years
as a ham Sunday morning. I got up and ran on 10 meters for about 45 minutes.
Signals seemed to be oddly weak, and rates disappointingly low. I then went to
15 and called CQ. The amp tripped, and the SWR was about 3:1 or worse. What
the???? A quick check showed that I had been running on 10 meters with my 30+
year old Col-Atch-Co 80/160 meter antenna, and not the C-19. I had been on 80
just before I went to bed, and hadn't switched the antenna. Interestingly the
SWR on 10 meters on the 80/160 vertical was an almost perfect 1:1. I guess the
positive out of this is that I now know that I have an emergency 10 meter
antenna if the others fail. After switching to the C-19 there was a vast
improvement in signal strengths and rate on 15  ;>)

Gear:
K3 and Tokyo HP amp 500 watts
C-19 @ 50 ft
Vertical for 40
42 ft top loaded vertical for 80/160

Thanks for the fun. See everyone in the 10 meter test from PJ2T with K2PLF and
N4RV.

73

Jim