[3830] CWopsT VE7FO HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT VE7FO HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 04:49:11 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Dec 4

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Vancouver BC
Operating Time (hrs): 1

  160:
   80:   3      2
   40:  45     45
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  48     47  Total Score = 2,256

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Well, I guess that was better.  It seems to take me 1/2 hour to get into the
rhythm of this thing.

Started by listening on 14.028 just before the start.  All I could hear was
3B8CF (barely).  Actually managed to work him.  Should have waited 2 minutes so
he'd count.  Then again, suppose he gets bored calling CQ and quits?

Nothing else on 20 so go to 40 hoping it would be better than usual.  Nope.
Signals mostly all weak on my low dipole.  QRN/QSB making it difficult to get
everything right the first time.  Not that much activity.  Had a non-contester
keep calling me for 5 min.

Switched to 80 5 min before the end.  Band in better condition than 40. What
few signal were there were decently strong and no problem with QSB/QRN wiping
out whole code elements.

One problem I'm having is that when I call a station when running I expect that
the very first thing that he sends will be his name.  I don't know how many
times I've entered GE in the name field and then had to correct it.  By this
time, of course, the number has passed right over my head and I have to ask for
a fill.  Wouldn't be a problem if I used a call history file but I don't.

I know everybody is trying to be friendly but it really messes me up.

I've been feeling a little down due to my performance in the CWTs, worried that
my age is starting to work against me.  Cheered up a lot in CQ WW CW where I had
the ten min rate up to 170 a couple of times.  That was on 10m with lots of
strong signals and no QRN/QSB.

I'll keep plugging away at this thing.

I've been promoting CWT to the locals and see a little more VE7 acctivity as a
result.

73, Jim  VE7FO