[3830] ARRL 160 KA1J Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KA1J Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 22:23:44 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KA1J
Operator(s): KA1J
Station: KA1J

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: S.E. Connecticut
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 577  Sections = 70  Countries = 6  Total Score = 82,040

Club:

Comments:

N1MM also lists 1172 points but I don't see a window to place that value here.

Antenna is an Inv-L which is resting on top of the trees around the radial
base, probably 45' tall at the apex. If you go to QRZ and see my page there
you'll see my spud gun that launches the projectiles to replace the wire when
it breaks from the wind.
Rig is a K3 with Diversity.
Main 160M Rx antenna is a HI-Z Trianglar and I use the Inv-L for diversity with
the K3.

I normally try to make as many Q's as possible but this time decided to Old
School it and not use QRO and not use the spotting network to find needed
contacts. Instead I either S&P or did runs in one location. Last time I ran
QRP in a contest was Field Day in 93. Much more of a challenge knowing stations
I normally would get were just never going to hear me and they were Q5 here.

Most amazing Q was OL7M who called me as I was on 1.8379 and their signal was
impressive and I asked them if I had the call correct as they were so clear.
Since they conversed with me easily at my 5W, I thought it was a Pirate and had
to verify before submitting my log. I emailed OK1MV to ask if the Q is in their
log & it is! Amazing Rx antennas they have & a fine Op. I tried for
quite a few DX stations but my 5W wasn't enough to get most of those Q's. Ended
up with only six 5 point Q's in the log.

My biggest problem is hearing fair to weak stations at this QTH: Amtrak with
their high voltage overhead power lines is less than 100' from the antennae and
I have nowhere to go to get away from it. Constant arcing which is worse on 160
along with the heavy arcing when a train is within one mile from the house.
When they pass the noise is horrible for a long time before & after they
pass. As I type this the P3 is showing all green for the last 45 seconds and
just now I heard the train go by... This track is heavily traveled as it's the
line between New York City & Boston so this problem is not going away. It
was a perfect QTH till Amtrak left Diesel and went electric some 15 years ago.

All told this was a very fun contest for me and the real credit goes to all the
contacts with their great ears and patience to pull a QRP signal out of 160M
during a contest. Someday I'd like to be part of a multi or DXpedetion but I'm
not ready for that though; I haven't learned how to optimise N1MM for
efficiency and still use my Vibroplex Iambic for sending, don't have the CW
interface for the keyboard so only use it for data entry.

Thanks for those I worked & see you all down the road.

73,

Gary
KA1J