[3830] ARRL 160 N5FO SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, samsadventure@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N5FO SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 01:01:22 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 556  Sections = 82  Countries = 8  Total Score = 92,414

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first ARRL 160!

Since I had planned to put up another transmit antenna (in addition to my
"bent" dipole 25ft above the ground on the ridgetop, but was thwarted
by winds and lack of help on tag lines, I didn't get the big sloper up on the
new 90ft tower.  So, I decided to take a laid back approach to the whole thing,
use the telnet, and work just enough to have some fun.

I didn't work the first night at all, which was probably a big mistake, but
other plans prevailed.  Saturday morning was spent largely on S&P using the
assisted spots to band hop, lots of fun. I enjoyed the casual pace that morning,
but by Sunday morning, I really was getting bored.

I never heard any EU dx, but I really didn't stay at it long enough Sat nite to
take advantage. The band was very quiet the whole time, especially on my 400ft
beverages.

N1MM plus has some nice features, and since action was slow, I tried my hand at
SO2V.  Other than getting gliched up a couple of times (probably my fault) that
helped with the boredom especially Sunday morning. Although I did fairly well
on the sections, I never heard or saw spotted the prized remote Canadian ones
during any of the time I operated.

My true operating time was probably about 8 hours, as I took several 20-30min
breaks for coffee & stretches.  It was nice to have almost no pressure,
very different from CQWW where I had set goals that drove the BIC requirement
up.

So, I'm glad I made it for a few hours, and maybe by next year I'll have a
transmit antenna that can be on par with the beverages (which I plan to
lengthen a bit this year,),  Thanks for all the nice contacts and mults, see
you in the Stew Perry!