[3830] ARRL 10 NT7S SO SSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, milldrum@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NT7S SO SSB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 01:19:43 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NT7S
Operator(s): NT7S
Station: NT7S

Class: SO SSB QRP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:
  SSB:  182    56
-------------------
Total:  182    56  Total Score = 20,384

Club:

Comments:

It has been a bit of a tradition of mine over the last few years to operate in
the 10 Meter Contest as a SSB QRP entrant, with the goal to best my previous
year's score. Last year, I made an acceptable showing of about 7.4k using my
ZS6BKW doublet up about 30 feet.

This year I knew I would need to step up my game, since we are now on the
downswing of Cycle 24. I upgraded the antenna to a Moxon (up only about 15
feet, but much better pattern than the ZS6BKW on 10 meters, and less loss) and
also added a RF speech processor to give my QRP signal some extra oomph.

I think I can say that the upgrades paid off. I scored better than double my
previous best score. This is a completely subjective assessment, but it also
didn't seem like propagation was quite as good this year as it was last year. I
did not hear a ton outside of North America and Japan, but was able to work most
of the stronger stations I could hear.

An enjoyable contest, and I've set a new personal high score that's going to be
a lot harder for me to beat next time.