[3830] ARRL 10 K4XS SO SSB Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K4XS SO SSB Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:25:50 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 32

   CW:
  SSB: 2971   180
-------------------
Total: 2971   180  Total Score = 1,069,560

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I've done this contest from the 1980s, so it was fun to try the SOA category.
Worst beginning night I can remember..almost no E-skip, and wound up with only
around 180 Qs.  I ended the first day with only 1500 Qs in the log.  Second
night also was pretty lousy for E-skip. The E-skip finally got hot around 0230,
but most of the casual ops had long since QRTed.

Sunday morning started out much better, lots of strong EU stations.  About
1430Z I accidentally hot switched and fried out the contact to the KT36XA
stack...lost around 20 valuable minutes to jerry-rig around that.  There were
no problems after that.  However, it did stop me from hitting the magical 3000
Qs mark

Most mults were easily gotten, especially the ones far away.  However, it's the
ones in the skip zone that are trouble.  I saw lots of easy ones from the rest
of the US, go unworked.  Both ZF stations, 6Y, CO etc and lots of XEs could not
either be heard or worked from my QTH, regardless of which antenna or beam
heading, which really hurt the mult total.  It was really frustrating.

Had some juicy mults call in the last hour of the contest, VR2, YB, UW0.

I have yet to hear a valid explanation for making XE states mults.  XE ops have
their own organization, whereas the VE and W guys have the ARRL.  If the XE
states are mults, then why not make all the other NA countries have their
provinces/districts/states count also?  Whoever made this decision made a big
mistake.  I thought it was a bad idea when the rule was made and I still do.
It makes no sense.

This is the first 48 hour contest I can remember working about as many stations
both days.  1500 day one, 1471 day two...really strange.