[3830] ARRL 10 W3IDT SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W3IDT SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 03:10:18 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W3IDT
Operator(s): W3IDT
Station: W3IDT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   CW:  374   114
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  374   114  Total Score = 170,544

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Not even local PVRC friends are used to hearing W3IDT call them in a CW
contest:
a. I can't copy code well enough at contest speeds (especially numbers), and
b. usually operate as a guest from other stations doing assisted S&P in
contests with negligible exchange copy requirements (I know, some don't call
that contesting).

So, this was code practice with...
- cw speed set at 17wpm;
- all S&P;
- low power;
- a 3el HB beam on a 20' chain link top rail, turned with vise-grips; and
- newly installed N1MM Logger+

Cut numbers, even leading "T"s, are evil.
Very few ops slow down enough even after "nr? qrs"
Not wanting to be a "pain", I usually went with what I got after two
repeat requests. Next time, I may persist until it is sent slow enough.

Public kudos to the ops at E7C and LZ9W who slowed to my speed on their first
response to my calling them.