[3830] OK RTTY W0YK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ed@w0yk.com
Subject: [3830] OK RTTY W0YK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 02:13:47 +0000
                    OK DX RTTY Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ca
Operating Time (hrs): 10:51

   80:
   40:    2    6       1
   20:  100  114       8
   15:  200  292      36        3
   10:  201  275      23
-------------------------------------
Total:  503  687      68        3  Total Score = 48,777

Club: Loma Prieta Contest Club

Comments:

My goal in this contest was to use Win-Test in the RTTY mode for the first time.
 I wanted to understand the details of how it worked.  In particular, I needed
to learn how call stacking could best be done with this logger.  The RTTY
Contesting column in the Mar/Apr NCJ will describe the specifics of how to do
RTTY call stacking with Win-Test, as well as N1MM Logger Plus.  No one stepped
forward for Win-Test, so I guess I'm it!

Win-Test is restricted to only one decoder per radio and that decoder can only
be MMTTY.  This reinforced my appreciation of multiple decoders of different
types.  It felt like my very first days of RTTY contesting.

As for call stacking with Win-Test, with some custom scripts and key
remappings, I was able to duplicate my WriteLog call stacking setup exactly.
The trickiest part was using the middle mouse button to click a highlighted
callsign into the call stack window (the Partner window in Win-Test).  My
trackballs don't have the middle button and I couldn't figure out how to
reprogram the trackball or Win-Test to send the key code for "middle mouse
button".  I found a regular mouse whose scroll wheel doubled as a middle
mouse button and installed in in parallel with the trackball.  That provided a
Rube Goldberg middle mouse button when I needed to copy a call into the stack.
However, I had a lot of trouble executing the click without first scrolling the
screen and missing my target callsign!

To further make things interesting, Win-Test doesn't have a contest module for
this contest.  In fact, it has very few RTTY contest modules.  The CQ WW RTTY
module was the closest match, but it required putting a dummy entry in the QTH
field for every QSO.

Unlike CW and SSB, in RTTY Win-Test didn't prefill the zone on most calls.
Every logger prefills zones, based on callsign prefix.  Worse, it didn't
prefill zones of stations that were already in the log on another band!  I
couldn't find anything I had set wrong, but maybe it was something like that.

Accordingly, all these issues contributed to a fair amount of QLF on my part
and I appreciate everyone's patience with the delays and flawed transmissions.

The response of the RTTY Skimmers is impressive.  My call appeared in my
bandmap before the second CQ!

Thanks for the QSOs.

Ed W0YK