[3830] TBDC VE9AA(@VE9AA/M) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VE9AA(@VE9AA/M) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:17:35 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA/M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: fn66
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 67  Total Score = 163

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

MOBILE MOBILE MOBILE
We went to see the HOBBIT movie tonight and when I got home I was all pumped to
get out on the battlefield, but as it turned
out I was much more a halfling than an Orc.  I was definately getting run over
and condx in the car were punk.

I had spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get the SD-330
resonating on 160m again this winter but the lowest it would
go with the Folgers coffee-can addition was 2.693kHz.  Too high.

After much deliberation I finally hauled out the trusty and crusty HS-1800/pro
antenna, but again, even with its longer whip and built in cap hat
the lowest it would go was 1924kHz. Methinks something was rotten in my
coffee-can coil.  One of the strands must have gotten broken this summer as it
got beat around the garage, so I added
quite a few top hat radials made of #22awg copper.  The only way to get it
below 1900 was to get them close to the cars roof too.

Kinda looked like Wile-E-Coyote's umbrella just after an ACME bomb had exploded
and he was left with only wires and no material on his umbrella.

Anyways, the W1's were mostly "easy" to work by the time I got on
approaching midnight, but they were few and far between. Waited too late.

I did hear EI2CN many times as I tuned across.  There was one time he peaked
nearly 5NN and I managed to get VE9U? from him twice, but he vanished and
I never heard from him again.  He vanished. SIGH.  The cross-pond DX that never
was !  Later, with lots of patience though, NP2X put me in the log. Kudos.

My favorite QSO and perhaps best ODX was with Milt N5IA.  He called me as I
CQ'd high in the band where the SWR was "reasonable" on the
conglomeration
I called an antenna.  If you are reading this, you were an honest 519....but I
have no idea how you heard me.  All the heavy lifting was on your end !!!

In the morning before SR, after my 3 hour "nap" the SWR was resonant
somewhere below 160m due to freezing rain. I didn't want to knock the ice
off the wires as they are very small and brittle.  When I tried that last year
things went flying in all directions, as fishing line insultating strings broke
so I left it. I could operate
1800-1830 fairly well. Not many above that anyways approaching Sunrise.

The modus operandi was to S&P and make note of those who couldn't hear and
come back to them later.  This sounded like a good, but seldom worked out
well.  QSB meant only on extreme peaks could anyone outside VE1 or W1 hear me.
Then I would CQ very high or low in the band.  I actually did have
perhaps 10 stns all evening/morning call me.  My mobile top hat is off to you
fellas !

The SWR seemed wide this year (way too wide for a mobile) and the 9 loading top
hat wires were closer to cars roof to get resonance, so no doubt I had a
beautiful resonant cct up there, but
very lossy.  Whoever worked me deserves the points ! My antenna was a giant
resonant *(but not radiating) circuit !

I am happy to report most stations do hear quit well and don't give up vy easy.
 If they were within 1000-1500 miles I generally worked them. (W1/2/3 upper W4).
Most anyone above a 559 was workable
but there was a cpl specific W1's that were 5NN for hours that I could not even
get a QRZ from.  That's the way it goes when you are likely emitting
millwatts !

Here's how you guys sounded in the car:

Loudest W1-K1LZ...K1AR also vy loud and has elephant ears.
Loudest W2-W2GD...WF2W & N2KW also FB
Loudest W3-N3QE/K3UL tie
Loudest W4-K1LT ( I envisioned multi beverage auto switching til he finally
'found' me)
Loudest W5-K5MR (no QSO--not even a QRZ after hours at S9, hi)...W5MX distant
second but not loud loud.(no QSO)
Loudest W6-N6VR (no QSO, not loud)(where was N6RK or N6RO?)
Loudest W7 -K7CA (no QSO, ~539 for a long stretch-had better luck when he was
in Chile-hi)..no extreme PNW 7's heard.ie: N6TR
Loudest W8-NA8V--FB ears
Loudest W9-K9NW (finally pulled me out after mni tries all nite ! (you rock,
Mike!)
Loudest W0-N0NI (no QSO, Toni never got "real" loud, strange, but my
antenna sucked !)..also N0TT, but weaker-no Q
Loudest VE1-VE1ZZ (no contest!)--VE1PZ also vy loud.
Loudest VE2 (VA2EW)
Loudest VE3-VE3OI/VE3KI tie
Loudest "EU"..EI2CN-....also heard DJ9RR and a G3 who's call I now
forget....exhaust fumes getting to me.

HNY Mike in the Mobile  VE9AA....2009 MINI COOPER ~100w, HS-1800/pro heavily
modded and umbrella top hatted.