[3830] TBDC K0PK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, paulk53@mediacombb.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K0PK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 16:55:58 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K0PK
Operator(s): K0PK
Station: K0PK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN37  N.E. MN
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 288  Total Score = 1,335

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Wow! That solar storm really did a number on Topband. No QRN to speak of here
but most signals were weak with fast & deep QSB. Really had a tough time
pulling some of them out of the noise. (sorry if I missed you) I sometimes felt
alligator-ish even with only 100 watts. And sometimes I couldn't get out of my
backyard!

The only DX I heard was KV4FZ & XE2S. VEs were also scarce.

I just finished putting the final TLC touches on a used, new to me, K2/100 and
got to use it for the first time under contest conditions. It was great! The
excellent receiver made the difference between a QSO and NO QSO on many
occasions. Signals were often so weak that I had to turn up the gain and just
listen through the noise on the 95' vertical TX antenna to hear them. The K2
with its good dynamic range and AF DSP NR is better at this than my other
radios. The 1/2-BOG & Zepp RX antennas just couldn't snag enough signal
most of the time to be useful, even with the preamp.

Looking forward to CQWW 160, hopefully from the low-noise cabin QTH and with
better conditions!

Thanks for the Q's.  73 & HNY!  Paul, K0PK