[3830] TBDC K7CA Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K7CA Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:34:24 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7CA
Operator(s): K7CA K7NJ
Station: K7CA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Utah
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 598  Total Score = 2,982

Club:

Comments:

This was the first time that I wasn't operating the SP from Chile since 2006.
It was nice to get 18 points working states like Nevada and Utah which now we
only got 1 point for.  But the QRN from summer storms was almost non existant
which was very nice for a change.  DX propagation did not seem good but we want
to give thanks to V55V, OA4TT, P4/DL6RAI, ZL3IX and HC2AO for braving the summer
qrn and calling in. We were calling CQ on an 8 element BS/EF array with a 3dB
beamwidth of about 30 degrees so when stations in the Carib and SA called in we
were lucky to hear them. We are in the process of converting our remote
receiving site to a transmit site and could only change antennas by manually
switching coax lines. We plan to have that fixed by the CQ160 contest next
month. Conditions were so bad to JA that we only worked 11 compared to about 50
in the first night of the ARRL 160 contest. And we didn't work a single one
within 4 hours of our sunrise.  Conditions outside the shack were pretty cool
too. At midnight the thermometer read 6 degrees F. Fortunately we have an
antique (1800's) wood burning stove in the shack which is a bit smokey but much
better than 6 degrees.  There is no commercial power at the site. I think this
is by far the best format for a DX contest. Riki, K7NJ and I had a great time.
Hope to see you all in the CQ160 next month.  Al K7CA

Elecraft K3 (X2)
Ameritron AL-1500 amp
Ameritron AL-80 amp
8 element vertical array at 70 or 250 degrees
8 element vertical array at 45 or 225 degrees
8 circle vertical array every 45 degrees