[3830] NAQP CW K8MR Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K8MR Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 03:19:54 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:    3     1
   40:   55    24
   20:   33    18
   15:   97    35
   10:   40    18
-------------------
Total:  228    96  Total Score = 21,888

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC #4

Comments:

Snowbird time - my wife and I are in Sarasota for the winter. For the NAQP it
was a choice of operating from a small roadside park on Sarasota Bay, or
putting up some antennas in a green space/buffer/dog walking area at the condo
complex. When my wife didn't want to let me have the car for the afternoon to
do the former, it came down the the later.

I was able to get a 40/20 dipole up about 45 feet at the center. It seemed to
work well on 10 and 15, though I had hoped those bands would be a bit shorter.
Upper New England had a good opening on 10, while at the same time VE1 was
there but weak. Colorado was booming.

I'm not sure what happened on 20 - very few signals early on. The loudest were
from KP4. Later there were signals but a lot of line noise. Same thing on 40.
Since usually only the loud guys are able to hear my QRP signal it may have
been a wash, though hearing people would have been more fun. Three FL QSOs on
80.

Operating outside in January wearing a sweatshirt is still a lot better than
the northerly alternative!

73  -  Jim  K8MR