[3830] NAQP CW N5FO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, samsadventure@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N5FO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:02:20 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:   20    11
   80:   89    33
   40:  315    49
   20:  238    53
   15:  138    34
   10:  145    34
-------------------
Total:  945   214  Total Score = 202,230

Club:

Team: Arizona Outlaws - Desperados

Comments:

NAQP 2015 - PEDALING BACKWARDS TO GO FORWARD!

With this being my first attempt at SO2R, I sure felt I was going backwards
most of the time!

Yes, the SO2R box wasn't operable until late Friday (great planning, right!)
so, not much time for practice before jumping off the cliff at contest opening
Saturday.

My Radio 1 was the 590 running the hundred watts, and No 2 was the KX3 with the
Hardrock HR50 amp. On the upper bands, I had only the tribander, so I tried the
little amp on the new (to me) 40M Yagi.  Although the SWR didn't seem so bad on
10 & 15 (about 3.5-4), and radio interaction was tolerable, the results were
disappointing. In spite of trying, the performance of the big 40 was nothing
compared to even a second small tribander.

My thoughts from the beginning was this contest would be a "learning
ground" for SO2R.  So, I just went ahead trying to call folks on the
second radio, even though results were modest.  There were many times when
either I or the SO2R Box (or both) got confused or out of sync. I'm sure most
of those were my fault, and lack of experience.

The good news was that by the time I got to 40M, I was just getting the hang
of the SO2R process, and becoming somewhat more alert when changing focus on
the radios.

It was not until late in the contest last night, when working 80 & 160 that
I felt somewhat "comfortable" with the SO2R process!  I know I paid a
price for giving it a try, but that's all part of learning. Good news is I
don't recall ever being bored!

SO2R certainly increased my awareness for weaknesses in antennas. At the very
least, I need another upper band antenna and something better for 80M transmit.
Also, some fancy antenna switches, and bandpass filters will make things much
easier. And, of course more work on that piece of equipment between my ears!

Once again I must thank all of you for the encouragement to move forward into
SO2R.
A special thanks to Steve N2IC and Dave K6LL for all the coaching and help!

And thanks to all of you out that contributed Q's & Mults, it was fun -
I'm already looking forward to next year!

Sam N5FO