[3830] NAQP CW KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:53:27 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 8:38

  160:   11     9
   80:  173    34
   40:  124    37
   20:   60    29
   15:   69    17
   10:   31     9
-------------------
Total:  468   140  Total Score = 65,520

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC #2

Comments:

Thanks to all.  What great fun!
I hit my previous best total with 2 hours yet to go, and turned in a personal
best by >10%. I also did it in spite of N1MM+ (my first contest using the
"+" version), which kept sending my rig into spontaneous splits and
other hijinks right in the middle of QSO's (I think some of the hot keys must
have changed).  I may have sounded a bit herky-jerky once in a while because of
it.

I knew this is the best contest for us little pistols, and I took advantage of
it, and had the great but rare experience of running for significant periods of
time  (4 runs brought 124 Q's!).  I also saw the rate meter in triple digits a
bunch of times, highest was 142/hr.  What a gas!

During the mandatory break time I also wrote another ham radio song titled
either "See Ya On Down the Log" or "If You Ain't Runnin', You
ain't Winnin'", thus combining my hobbies.  I don't know if it will ever
see youtube like my song "I Want a Big Tower", and I'm still fussing
with the lyrics and arrangement, but possibly I'll have it on line for everyone
to see after NAQP SSB.

I am hoping to put you all in the log next weekend in the SSB portion.  Thanks
for all the Q's and good reception!  I am constantly amazed at what 5 Watts to
wires in the trees can do.  73 de kt8k - Tim

rig, etc. - Tentec Orion at 5 Watts, MFJ Grandmaster keyer w. Bencher paddle,
ancient XP laptop "gasping under the strain"

antennas -
- 20/40/80m inverted vee ('W') at about 50 feet
- 10/15/20 trap dipole (Cushcraft A3 driven element) hanging vertically w. feed
point at about 60 feet
- 500 foot horizontal (somewhat) loop zig zagging through the trees w. Z-11
autotuner
- K9AY loop (might have helped this time on 160m)