[3830] NAQP SSB W1TJL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1tjl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W1TJL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:32:12 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL
Station: W1TJL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN32NA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   66    22
   80:  199    38
   40:  230    36
   20:  341    41
   15:  143    35
   10:   44    15
-------------------
Total: 1023   189  Total Score = 193,347

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: Central CT Contesters

Comments:

Decided TO DO a full effort on this one because I had it on the calendar (the
secret to getting contest weekends off).  So did a full 10 hours.  Last year I
did 10 straight hours and ended at 11:00 PM.  This year I decided to take two
31 minute breaks and go till midnight.  I think I liked that better and my last
hour on 80/160 was profitable.

10 was a bit disappointing as the conditions early were not great and I went to
15 fairly early to up the rate.  But even 15 was not great so on to 20 where I
had some excellent runs.  Anyway, I second guess whether I should have stuck
with 10 and 15 longer but it’s water under the bridge.

Everything worked perfectly but as Frank K1EBY observed NAQP CW last weekend,
the 80 meter antenna is WAY better to Europe and California than it is to New
England and Pennsylvania…  So for stateside contests I’m going to need
another higher angle radiation antenna than the ground plane.  But THAT will
wait till the wind, ice, snow and winter conditions are gone.

As usual, had a ball, even had some visitors and as my sister-in-law’s
boyfriend watched he got all excited and made me promise to show him all about
Ham Radio on a non-contest weekend…  He was a bit like a kid in a candy
store.

Off to submit the scores and lower the tower when I get the next break in the
torrential rain we are having…

73, Tom W1TJL