[3830] CQ160 CW KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:05:57 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S, Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 729  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 52  Total Score = 457,639

Club:

Comments:

Better conditions than expected for Europe everything seemed to be working until
Saturday night early when the fault indicator on my Alpha 87A came on.  So I
decided to quit and have a good supper. An hour later I took the amp apart and
started troubleshooting. It was frustrating listening to all those EU stations
in a very good opening in the peak between 0100 and 0400Z. I have had the fault
"8" before and it usually means pin diodes but I was able to isolate
the problem to the RF deck and saw a small burn on one of the padding caps for
160.  I was able to find a spare and get back going after 0400 but the band to
EU took a nose dive.

So what is a contest without Mr. Murphy ready to strike at any moment?  The
biggest thrill was being able to fix the amp in the heat of the contest and get
back to press on regardless of the problems.