[3830] ARRL Jan VHF AC0RA/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wyattdirks@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF AC0RA/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:15:44 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  590   116  Total Score = 98,948

Club:

Comments:

I set out this year with a few goals in mind.
1.Avoid any bad weather
2.Set new record under current limited rover rules(using 6m through 432)
3.500 qsos
4.100 mults
5.Have fun

Plan was to operate 1 hour each from 17 different grids in Wisconsin, Illinois,
and Iowa. I started out in EN55,54,45,44 and left there with 110 qsos. After
that I headed south the EN53,52,43 where I landed another 102 qsos which is how
I ended on Saturday at about 11pm local.

>From there I had a 5 hour drive south and also took a few hours to sleep at a
rest stop along the way. I started back up just before 7am local working from
EM69,59,EN50,60 adding another 77 qsos to the log. From EM59 I made my longest
contacts of the weekend with W4ZRZ in EM63 at a distance of about 440 miles.
Managed to work Jimmy on all 4 bands. Then I made my way up to EN51,40 and
logged another 54 contacts.

At this point I had 345 qsos, 98 mults and a score of 45k which passed my
previous years score. I was a little behind on qsos but the mults were looking
pretty good. I knew there were going to be a few another rovers close to my
final stop so I was hoping I could get some qsos that way. As soon as I got
setup to operate in en41 it seems the contest just started as for the last 4
hours of the contest I was making contacts back to back. In just one hour I
made 60 qsos from EN41. It was hard to move to the next grid as I could hear a
lot more station I could work but I moved up to en42 and the activity continued
with another 55 contacts in EN42.

Then I moved down to my favorite spot to operate on a mud road that the grid
line of EN31/32 crosses. I setup in EN31 first and logged another 62 contacts
in a hour. At this point I was really starting to wonder where all these people
were the rest of the contest but anyway I was having a great time. For the last
hour of the contest and moved up to EN32. The last hour of the contest was the
best hour for me with 68 qsos. The last four hours of the contest was amazing
logging 245 contacts and more then doubling my score. The last four hours
definitely made up for the rest of the contest.

I contacted 8 stations more then 20 times with a quick list below.
K2DRH-64
KD0LRG/R-64
W0UC-60
N9DG-55
KC0SKM/R-41
W9FZ/R-27
KA9VVQ/R-27
N4QWZ-20

Lots of other stations in the log several times as well. Thanks to all the
stations who took the time to work me in the Contest.

Back to the goals
1. This was a close one. I was right on the edge of snow and ice Sunday morning
but hit never got to me. I did have a bit of rain and some crazy strong winds
for while.
2. 60k is the current record under the current limited rover rules
3. 590qsos which was only 25 qsos short of my June vhf contest qsos count
4. 116 mults claimed 17 were for grids I activated.
5. Oh yea! Bonus at the end was meeting up with W9FZ/R, KA9VVQ/R and KC0SKM/R
right after the contest ended for a short eye ball qso and some pictures.

See everyone in the June vhf contest.

73 Wyatt
AC0RA/R