[3830] CQ160 CW W1XX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1xx@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1XX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:34:33 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1XX
Operator(s): W1XX
Station: W1XX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

Total:  QSOs = 731  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 40  Total Score = 239,210

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

With no apologies to Dickens, this was a Tale of Two Nights.  Day 1 was so slow
I thought maybe there was a VHF contest this weekend (Oh, there was!).  From
the get-go, the EUs were easily readable ...  except for OH and SM ... had
trouble hearing my S&P calls...except for RW7K who was everywhere.  Instead
of keeping my BIC, I got 7 hours of nighttime sleep in two segments....awake for
the EU SR. but alas signals were not much better.

After the same scenario D2 at my SS....all hell broke loose as we got closer to
EU SR and the EU callers were 599 and several layers deep at the same time
stateside was responding to my CQs.  Had the hand on the Beverage B&W
rotary switch constantly.  I now bemoaned chumping out the night
before...mighta had a shot at a repeat of top 10 USA.

Still caught another two hours sleep after 3 AM local, to get up at 5 for my
SR.  With no KH6 still in the log, my notes from previous years told me:
"Don't worry, KH6LC will find you....Lloyd & Co. know you are in
RI."  They did.  And so did the JA....wow first time ever in the contest.

Missed MT and the usual VE suspects.

One wish:  That stateside would stay out of 1830 - 35 for the weaker EUs to
find a place to be heard when conditions not great.  I hear the same stations
there every year.  I won't work stateside in there even if I need the mult.

My personal challenge for CQ Phone 160:  Keep the BIC no matter what.

73!  -- John, W1XX

TX:  FT1000MP to Drake L7 = 1 KW to T-vertical w/32 1/4 wave radials
RX:  4 short Beverages 220 - 550 ft.