[3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR(@K5KG) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR(@K5KG) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 14:21:51 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   72
   40:  117
   20:  120
---------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team: Southeast Sprint Coalition

Comments:

Fist, a big thank you to George, K5KG, for having me over to operate the Sprint.
Waterfront QRP daylight operations in NAQP etc are cool, but QRP Sprints after
dark are not my idea of fun.

Only problem, not major, was with logging. George is a WriteLog guy, I'm not.
So I decided I'd bring in my laptop with N1MM and just plug into his radios.
Unfortunately, after spending some at home in the afternoon practicing N1MM ESM
operation, it turned out I had to keep George's Microham interface in line to
handle the antenna switching. Naturally we couldn't figure out how to get that
to talk to my computer, so I didn't have computer-radio communications. I
realized about 10 QSOs in that ESM in a Sprint doesn't work so well when N1MM
doesn't know you've QSY'd. But I ran pretty smoothly without ESM, probably
fewer mistakes that it would have been with it.

Florida propagation is fun, at least on 40 and 20. Forty was grim at first,
with Sprint sandwiched between the RTTY above 050 and the K1N pileup below 040.
But once K1N moved to another band/mode, 40 was great. I missed all the same
mults as everybody else. No Wyoming, not so unusual, but missing Connecticut?!

A lot more FL activity than last year, when I was also here, and it was just
N4OX and me. This year I don't know if I'll be able to crack 3th place in the
state! But it's still better to be drinking my morning coffee today out in the
sunshine.

73  -  Jim  K8MR