[3830] MnQP K0BBC Mobile Single Xmtr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP K0BBC Mobile Single Xmtr LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:21:58 +0000
                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: K0BBC
Operator(s): K0BBC W0ZF
Station: K0BBC

Class: Mobile Single Xmtr LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:
   40:              259
   20:                3
   15:
   10:                1
-------------------------
Total:      0       263  Mults = 57  Total Score = 29,982

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

FT-857 100W into a Tarheel 200A-HP with a MFJ voice keyer to save the vocal
cords.
 This was our first attempt at HF mobile with my Jeep.  The weather forecast
caused us to switch our operating plan from NW to SW Minnesota and the winter
road conditions were great.  There was no snow on the roads and the sun made an
afternoon appearance with temperature peaking at 45F.  Our intention was to run
on 20 meters, but at 100W, all the dashboard lights lit up and gas gauge went
dead.  The Jeep still ran, but, this situation freaked us out.  40 meters was
our mainstay and gave us at least one QSO in each county.  WX0Z was our lone
contact in Rock, our last county.  WX0Z and KD0ZSM gave our only two contacts
in Pipestone.  Thanks for helping us avoid a skunk.  We drove corner to corner
in Southern Minnesota activating 22 counties along the way.  The excellent road
conditions allowed us switch to gravel roads to get closer to county borders and
shave time off the route allowing us to operate the final 15 contest minutes in
Rock county.  Some summer tasks have emerged from this effort:  Bonding some of
the Jeep's large metal parts and applying to ferrite chokes to various cables
are going to be attempted to eliminate interference with the Jeep's electrical
system and make the antenna more efficient.  To celebrate our collective
contest efforts, we met AC0W, in Luverne, for dinner and swapped stories of our
day's adventure.  I see freezing rain moved into our operation area, on Sunday,
and am so thankful for the terrific weather we had and all the operators who
followed us across the state.