[3830] NA Sprint CW K3KU LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K3KU LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:34:16 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   53      46
   40:   88      94
   20:   71      88
---------------------

Club: Pizza Lovers 259

Team: PVRC #1

Comments:

I operated several of the early Sprints, even using the W3GRF super-station one
time. After my 15-year QRX, and after I began waiting 'til Saturday nights to
operate, I stumbled into Sprint in Feb 2003; see
http://ncjweb.com/sprint-scores/cwsprint022003.pdf (interesting to see all the
still-familiar calls from 12(!) years ago).

In Feb 2013 I made my first real effort in about 20 years.  It seems I missed
Feb 2014.  Based on my feelings after last night, I think 2014 must have been a
fit of sanity.

After 4 QSOs in first two minutes (one antenna, one radio) everything went to
pot.  Lost almost every jump ball (four, to my buddy N3QE); CQ in my face;
sparse answers to my own CQs.  I think I noticed another weak-sig disadvantage:
people seem reluctant to take time to dig out a weak signal, especially a weak
CQ; I know that I was.  (That probably is part of "sparse answers".)
Too many logging fumbles; in add'n to "normal" fat-finger errors,
could not enter calls quickly enough on fast replies.  Hence, too much hand
sending.

Late mult-hunting excursion to 20M did bag next-to-last VE5; last mult was VA ,
on 80M.  Heard only two mults that I did not snag (AK and MAR), plus maybe AB
(heard a VE6 call sign, but could not tell if it was the VE6 or somebody
calling him).  Did not even hear RI, ME, CT(!), KY, AL, AR, OK, UT, NV, WY, NE,
ND, QC, NT.

N9RV recently on 3830 described Sprint CW as "the most intense 4 hours in
contesting..."  Back in that Feb 2003 report K3MD said, "Excellent CW
operators in this contest."  Amen and amen!  This is not a contest for
little pistols.  At 0400Z I was glad to shut down, and I was thinking I had not
had fun.

Now, I'm already having second thoughts.  Not ready to try again tonight
(unlike SS CW where I'm ready to start again at 0300Z), but MAYBE by next Feb
(Aug Sprint is NG; it's almost over by nightfall). Perhaps if I skip next Feb
SSB Sprint my attitude will have adjusted to trying CW again.

73 es tnx qso,
Art K3KU