[3830] ARRLDX CW DL1IAO(@DL0WW) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dl1iao@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW DL1IAO(@DL0WW) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 01:18:35 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL1IAO
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL0WW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN49FO
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:   11     7
   80:  220    39
   40:  489    50
   20:  461    54
   15:  609    57
   10:  460    54
-------------------
Total: 2250   261  Total Score = 1,760,184

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

2x IC756Pro3(INRAD)
BX-120 Interfaces, TopTen decoders, WX0B bandpass filters, Idiom Press CMOS4's
& homebrew 2R-switching

WT v4.15.0 on 2x Mac mini MD387D/A running Windows 7

(160) 27m shunt-fed tower, Mag-Loop (RX)
 (80) Bobtail (NW/SE)
 (40) 3el M2 Yagi @20m (linear-loaded)
 (20) 5el M2 Yagi @27m
 (15) 5el Yagi @25m
 (10) 6el Yagi @24m (sharing tower with 40m)

The usual 3h car ride to the station on Friday extended to no less than 9h due
to a huge car accident leading to complete closure of the highway. I had 40min
left to bring in and set up my complete SO2R station. At 23:55 I discovered
high SWR on the 80m Bobtail with more than 100W of HF. When N4WE called in for
the first QSO I had to decide and opted for LP. I still had to fix a nasty
networking and interfacing issue on the fly during the first 2 hours.

To my surprise the lowbands were going very well with 100W, even 80m. My best
QSO was N2IC (NM) calling in with an excellent signal about 20min after my
sunrise. On the other hand 20m was my most disappointing band with lots of time
put in without finding any substantial rate. The 10m opening on Sunday was a
great relief.

It was often impossible to hold a frequency with 100W, so most of the time I
settled down way up the band. The one exception was finding a totally clear
28040 on the 2nd radio and immediately starting to run. Even though I had to
defend this spot literally every 3min I didn't give up and was rewarded with a
steady flow of callers throughout the opening with some 2nd radio thrown in.

The lack of pre-contest sleep led to a little bit more off-time than originally
planned. The 45min nap at 02:00 on Sunday interrupted a very nice 40m run and
certainly cost a few QSOs.

Thanks to everyone for moving, especially the VE's on Sunday!

73,

Stefan
DL1IAO@contesting.com
http://www.dl1iao.com