[3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 02:19:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 11:36

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   36    27
   15:  112    54
   10:  148    67
-------------------
Total:  296   148  Total Score = 131,424

Club:

Comments:

I wasn't planning to grab more than a handful of Qs in this contest, but the
winter has been so brutal and I needed cheering up and what's better than a big
CW contest (maybe a RTTY one, but that was last week). We were forecast a storm
which didn't live up to its threat, so I had more free time than expected and
less shoveling.

Intermixed with the ARRL I had a few QSOs in the Russia PSK WW contest. There's
something about PSK which doesn't lend itself to contesting and I beat a hasty
retreat back to the ARRL.  On Saturday afternoon I took part in the Feld Hell
Bingo Sprint. I describe FH as "cute" mode. It and JT65 are the
strangest modes I've ever tried.  I had 9 Qs and it felt like 90, but it was
fun in its own weird way.  Buzz, buzz, buzz ...

>From then on I'd drop by the shack occasionally and do the ARRL. There are
those who complain that an assisted contest is like shooting fish in a barrel,
and they're right, even for a small station like mine. I logged on to KB1H's
cluster which gives me a good source of stuff I can actually hear. It leaves
some holes but I still have my S&P skills from days of yore and enjoyed
filling in the blanks in the bandmap. It was a nice mixture of assistance and
self-help.  I had fun.

I wasn't able to operate on 40 because I took my antenna down when all these
storms started and now it and its ropes are buried in several feet of ice and
snow. I'd like to get it out by the NAQP-RTTY next weekend.  We'll see.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

Avoid frostbite.

73,
Ken, AB1J