[3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 01:19:42 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 43.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  137    47
   80:  450    65
   40:  902    79
   20: 1036    95
   15:  947    88
   10:  926    88
-------------------
Total: 4443   462  Total Score = 6,155,226

Club:

Comments:

What a fabulous ride that was.  Despite early setbacks.  The 80M wire
beam was totally dead when I went to it at 0230Z, day 1.  It worked perfectly
the weekend before.  Need to get that fixed before the SSB leg.  I used my SE
half wave sloper for all EU contacts.
And my 160 2 el phased array turned into a vertical as well.  Both will
hopefully be up and running by SSB.  Since I have no experience with this
contest in High Power, I have no idea how much those issues hurt me.

I thought that the conditions were pretty darned good overall on the high
bands considering the low SFI number.  The Low bands were periodically
affected
here by the auroral blanket coming pretty far south at times.  It really
shuts stuff off here on 40 - 160.  On low power it would kill me.  But with
high power it slows you down but doesn't kill you.  Still it added some
sleep time to my normal 44.5 - 45 hour stint so I did 43.5 hours in this one.
When things get that slow, some rest can be more valuable.  This contest is
actually hard to do 46 hours on unless we get the overnight 20M EU conditions
which have only happened twice in the past 10 years from here.

I am still learning each contest in the high power mode.  Running 10M in
marginal conditions mode was one of them (Sat morning).  And opening the
40M band on Saturday afternoon was another (a blast).  Splitting yagis
between Asia and EU is very fun.  Did that at times on 10, 15, and 20.  And
running JA on 15 while grabbing new stations on 10 and 20 with pretty much
first call efficiency is another very cool thing.

My biggest issue continues to be mult finding while the rate is high.  But
practice will get me there.  Also, the higher constant rate of high power
is exposing my need to improve my CW skills.  I have too many fills and it
drags down the rate over time.  Still I was able to manage a 205 fastest 60
mins and had 24 clock hours over 100 with the fastest being 188.

I know some complain on the "zero beat factor" of the packet/skimmer
pileups.  I have
found it "survivable" given the ability of more people to find you.
I don't
like using assistance on my end by I sure don't mind everyone finding me
easily.  Rate is good...so bring it on.

Very tired today but am already looking forward to the SSB version.  Hopefully
I can get the 160 antenna fixed before the 160 contest this weekend.

BIG TIME congrats to K1ZM for swapping Low Power Records with me.  Stole his in
CQWW
and he stole mine back in ARRL DX...FB!  And same to W1UE for also being
"right there"
as well.

73

Ed  N1UR