[3830] CQ160 SSB N1CC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N1CC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 17:40:56 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 201  State/Prov = 44  Countries = 4  Total Score = 20,976

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3/100 100W to Inverted L used PRO-1B Loop on receive.

The ambient noise level (local) on 160 is S9 +10.  The InLogis loop worked
partially.  I have a problem with very low signal levels, and am waiting for a
new pre-amp to see if that is the problem.  Loop directivity is very good, and
it's sharp.  Could not hear several stations that called, no matter what I did
by turning the loop, the SNR is just not good enough -- InLogis has worked with
me and I think the problem will be resolved very soon.

Friday night conditions seemed better than Saturday.  Friday NP4** called me
and could not get his call -- his direction is toward one of the local noise
sources.  Saturday Lightning Crashes pretty well made only the
"strong" guys get into the log.

Two of the strongest stations worked and heard full time during my on-the-air
time had poor suppression on their SSB signal, with the USB about 10 dB lower
than their main signal.  One was in Texas and the other in Georgia.  As long as
I stayed 10 kHz away from them all was good.  I am sure others who know them
have spoken to them about having a clean signal.

This was my first real foray into SSB on 160.  Interesting, and am hopeful that
I get the loop working right - so that I can hear the weak stuff!