[3830] NCQP N4E Mobile Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCQP N4E Mobile Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 20:25:15 +0000
                    North Carolina QSO Party

Call: N4E
Operator(s): WA4PGM KA4RRU
Station: N4E

Class: Mobile Mixed LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:    83
   40:   407
   20:   614
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  1104    0       0  Mults = 64  Total Score = 214,868

Club:

Comments:

Well another year has come and gone and what a difference a year makes. Last
year we had temps in the 70's with sunny skies and this year we had a thick
coat or ice of the antennas at the beginning of the contest. The weather report
looked bleat but we pushed forward to a rocky start. I knocked the ice off the
antennas about 10 minutes before the contest but as time would past and we
traveled the SWR would begin to climb. At our first stop there must have been
over a inch of ice on the antenna! As we traveled south the temperatures
finally went above freezing but our day ahead would be pouring rain. About 90%
of our trip was wet, cold, and ice.

I spent most of the day on Saturday preparing the "wife's" suv for
the trip. Running a power cable, installing the antennas, operating desk
modifications, etc... It took a good part of the day but everything worked
maybe a little to easy. ;)

Well just before the start of the contest we lost cw keying, $%##&! Reboot
and everything was working. Well for a while anyway. As it turned out we
rebooted a couple more times before I changed out the keyboard and a USB hub.
We didn't experience another keying problem so lesson learned. We had to
retune(ATU) our antennas every once in a while due to ice but everything worked
well. Our trip was shorten near the end of the contest due to darkness and
weather plus having to travel secondary roads didn't seem fun and we were
running short on time. But we did manage to hit 27 of our 29 planned counties.

Many thanks to Mike KA4RRU for taking part in this adventure with me. He's a
tremendous operator and a very good friend it was nice having another op and
driver along.

Elecraft K3, Hustler resonators.

Thanks everyone!!!!!
N4E/mobile