[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joel.weiner@ualberta.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 15:54:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Ab
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  733    97
   10:
-------------------
Total:  733    97  Total Score = 213,303

Club:

Comments:

Decided to go 15m SB-HP this weekend. Unfortunately we suffered from very poor
conditions here in northern Alberta with lots of ionospheric absorption.
Contest started with a fairly normal opening to JA and SE Asia which lasted
about 3 hours. The band then went dead which is pretty normal with a flux of
about 130. Checking at various times around midnight indicated that we did not
have a polar opening to Eu. Probably the flux was too low. Went to bed and was
awoken at 4:15am by the chatter coming through the earphones even though I was
in an adjoining room. This was surprisingly early. The band was open to Eu with
many very strong signals resulting in a really good run that lasted until about
7:00am when the band went almost totally dead to Eu until about 9am when it
again opened and another very good run to Eu for about 2 hr. Saturday afternoon
generated limited contacts to South and Central America. The band usually opens
to JA in early afternoon but not much heard until about 4pm when the band
opened to JA and BY for about 90min but the signals were not strong. At what
would normally be peak time it went totally dead. Could hear stations south of
me running JA but not a trace of a signal. At this point decided it was time to
pack it in and look towards next year.
As always Don was great host making the station available.
Equipment ICOM ProII, homebrew amp and 6x6x6x6 plus an additional 6 element
several hundred meters from the shack.