[3830] ARRLDX SSB OH0X(OH6KZP) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@student.tut.fi
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB OH0X(OH6KZP) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:00:25 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: OH0X
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH0X

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Brando
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1     1
   80:    4     4
   40:  182    37
   20:  237    48
   15:  201    39
   10:  120    21
-------------------
Total:  745   150  Total Score = 332,550

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Working this contest SOAB LP from up north is not exactly for the faint of heart
or the less determined... If getting CQed in the face by S9-strength stations,
having your QRG continuously stolen, etc., is what a fun weekend consists of,
then this was the real deal :)

Anyway, it was an interesting experience, although I couldn't put in a 100%
effort this time. The absolute highlight was a 40m run on Sunday morning: I got
out of bed around 0200z after another brief sleep cycle to work a few obligatory
multipliers. 40m had been pretty bad the first night, and I had only about 20-30
QSOs on 40m at that point.

After working some multipliers and S&P:ing around, I determined that the
band seemed good enough even for a 100-W guy to call CQ. So I eventually found
a QRG very low in the band, worked split, and it was off to the races. Never
thought I'd work a 40m low-power run/pileup of 100+ QSOs like that! Apparently
I wasn't that much out of the noise for some, but a clean QRG (and some cluster
spots) did the trick.

Ten meters appears to have been much better further south all weekend; here
around 60N it was kind of marginal and I did a lot of S&P calling to no
avail. Signals came skew path, but later in the openings on both days it was
more direct.

Finally on Sunday afternoon I found a good QRG very high up in the band.
Special thanks to W3FIZ who kindly informed an "intruding" station
that the frequency was in use, when my 100W wasn't enough for it. It was a
brief run in which I managed to put about 80 QSOs in the log. Again, many
commented that I was barely out of the noise, but fortunately it was enough.
Heard more mults on 10m but wasn't able to attract their attention.

The award for strongest NA signal goes to NZ1U, who was S9+45 dB on 15m on
Saturday. Thanks to all for the QSOs and to the team for support!

73
Kim OH0/OH6KZP/M