[3830] ARRLDX SSB WA1Z SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob@wa1z.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WA1Z SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:57:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): WA1Z
Station: WA1Z

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): ~43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   19    15
   80:   94    51
   40:  481    74
   20:  428    87
   15:  608    89
   10:  651    82
-------------------
Total: 2281   398  Total Score = 2,723,514

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs!  And a special thanks to several stations
that moved to other bands for a multiplier!

Congrats to N1PGA on a new personal best in this contest!  And congratulations
in advance to anyone that comes in ahead of this score! :-)

Station:
Two Elecraft K3s, YCCC SO2R Box
SkookumLogger contest logging program

Antennas:
160 Inverted L
80 2-Element Phased Vertical Array
40 NE and SW facing wire Yagis, NE at ~65' SW at ~55', 1/2-wave Dipole N/S
20-10 A3S rotatable on AB-577 at 57' (continued to be on loan from W6PH), TX-38
tribander fixed to EU at 47', other 2-element home-brew Yagis and Quad in fixed
directions.

After three contacts on 160 the first night, I noticed a very high SWR.
Despite looking into every antenna with an analyzer more than once in the days
leading up to the contest, I hadn't noticed that all the snow that is still
near the foundation of the house has been pulling on my 160 and 80M coax coming
into the panel coming into the house.  After EU sunrise, I went outside (in
t-shirt and short in sub-freezing temperature) to investigate, found the
problem, and then fixed it during a short break during daylight hours on
Saturday.  That was the only unenjoyable issue. :-)

Thankfully, 10 Meters was in good shape, which makes contesting from a modest
station running low power a _lot_ of fun.

I tip my hat to guys who do SO2R SSB contesting on a regular basis.  This is my
first full-bore SO2R effort in a SSB contest; it's very fatiguing.

73,
Bob WA1Z