[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 03:25:55 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): K1KI
Station: K1KI

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 28.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 2093   131
-------------------
Total: 2093   131  Total Score = 808,008

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was really a single band assisted effort, but there is no single band
assisted category.  I wondered how well my station could compete with the
multi-ops, at least on 10m.  From the early results I was pretty close - it may
only be K3LR with better 10m totals.  K1ZR's unassisted 10m effort was excellent
- I think he would have beat me if I had not been assisted (he had 17 fewer QSOs
and 17 fewer mults...).

Had a couple of problems come up with some brief power line noise late Sunday
afternoon to the southeast.  Also have some steady noise to the west but
further away.  I both cases I've been too lazy to call but want the one to the
SE to be more regular so the power company can actually locate the real
problem.

I don't do many SSB contests seriously.  As a result my old voice keyer wasn't
set up right and when I tried to set it up the audio was awful.  Maybe it's
time to use my computer sound card...  Surprised to find my voice lasted the
whole contest (28.5 hours on 10m).  Lots of unanswered CQs.

There's nothing like 10m to be able to spread out and have a QRM free frequency
for much of the time.  I think I could have heard a pin drop in any part of
western Europe.  Lots of QRP signals.  CT1BOH called in with 0.1w and several
said they were running 500mw.  If I add up the power received from all
stations, I get 680,560.1 watts, or an average of about 300w/station...

I think I enjoyed the Saturday evening JA opening the most.  Worked 3 on Friday
evening and only 4 on Sunday evening, but on Saturday I put 134 in the log from
2121 to 2343z.  There were not any other "goodies" from SE Asia, but
it was nice to have BA2BI call in at 2325z.

The last hour of the contest was tough but I pulled 15 VKs through the power
line noise, and 3 ZLs, 3 KH6s, 5W1SA's QRP signal, and a couple of fading South
Americans.

My QSO total does not include 82 dupes that came from bad packet spots (the
dupes really came in waves on Sunday).  The total does include 36 USA and one
Canadian QSO for zero points...

FT1000mp, Alpha 86, 7L M2 yagi at 68'

    73 -- Tom