[3830] Rus DX VK2IM/QRP SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2im9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX VK2IM/QRP SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 00:37:13 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VK2IM/QRP
Operator(s): VK2IM
Station: VK2IM/QRP

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0         0         0
   80:    0     0         0         0
   40:   86     0        17         5
   20:  152     0        36        27
   15:   27     0        10        11
   10:   97     0        21        29
Total:  362     0        84        72  Total Score = 354,900

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Two whole SO2R setup was pretty neat: Two ELAD FDM-DUO QRP transceivers, one
Microham u2R (SO2R switching box), set of W3NQN band-pass filters and laptop
(N1MM) with extra monitor running two panadapters for radios.  I used
interlaced yagi for 10/15/20 @ 13m (3/3/2 elements), 40m Moxon @17m and G5RV.

It was an interesting experience.  I used VK2IM/QRP hoping to attract bit more
attention (more interest on other end, more spots, etc.), but I do not think
that it really worked.  I think the /QRP was more annoyance than anything else
�" on both ends.  The panadapters were excellent tool especially for QRP.
 On high bands, when the big signals were only 20dB above the band noise, then I
could switch off radios �" nobody could hear me.  When the big guns were
some 30-40dB above atmospheric noise then I could even run �" as long as
the frequency was clear on other end (edge of the bands).  On 40m in the
evening it was different story.  The signals from States were coming only above
noise floor and I had a nice little run into US with QRP.  The local noise floor
was S5 to S7, but in States they must have had very low atmospheric noise before
sunrise.  I tried to call few JA’s, UA0’s on 80m but with 5W absolutely no
luck.  Not even “?” from anyone.

The highlight of the contest was an email from one G station telling me that he
tried first to call me with 100 mW and dipole but could not make it.  Then he
got through with 1 Watt.  The whole QSO took about 10 minutes to complete.  For
many this might sound like lot of fun, but for me it was 10 minutes of my life
that I never get back.

73
Vlad/VK2IM