[3830] WPX SSB KP3/K1ZZ SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sumner@snet.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KP3/K1ZZ SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:58:44 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KP3/K1ZZ
Operator(s): K1ZZ
Station: KP3/K1ZZ

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: PR
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:    9
   20:   72
   15:  405
   10:  189
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Linda located a rental house on a hillside on the eastern side of Puerto Rico
overlooking the coast. I did the “ham shack in a backpack” carryon thing
with the K3, power supply, assorted bits of antenna wire and fiberglass pole.
The site turned out to be beautiful in all respects but one: the hill kept
rising behind us to the north and northwest, blocking the US. No matter, this
was a vacation and a part-time operation, not a serious contest effort.

I started Friday night with an end-fed sloping wire about 60 feet long but it
didn’t work very well on SSB despite being good enough to generate a pileup
Friday afternoon on CW. Saturday morning I rigged a single element delta loop
for 10 meters, lengthening it for 15 on Sunday morning and 20 for the last few
minutes of the contest. Except for one short burst on 15 I didn’t ever get
much of a run going. Listening to me struggle demotivated Linda from operating
�" the pool was more attractive �" so WP3/KA1ZD didn’t make it
on.

I’ve hardly ever used the noise blanker in the K3 but found it to be very
useful this time. That, plus being weak, reminded me how good I have it at
home.

The score would not be competitive in the “low power tribander plus wires
minus tribander” category even if there was one, but it was fun to see who
could copy KP3/K1ZZ right the first time. Some of the top ops got it right
away. A few less experienced ops couldn’t get it right no matter how hard
they and I tried.