[3830] WPX SSB C4A(@5B4AKR) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 5b4afm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB C4A(@5B4AKR) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:55:34 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: C4A
Operator(s): 5B4AFM 5B4AHZ 5B4KH 5B4MF 5B4ZN 5B8AP
Station: 5B4AKR

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Nicosia, Cyprus
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:    0
   80:  250
   40:  800
   20: 2349
   15: 1884
   10: 2225
------------

Club: Nicosia Contest Group

Comments:

As we drove to the C4A contest QTH on Friday morning we were not sure if we
would be able to set up the station in time for the contest. The meeting of our
contest group the night before resulted in a long to-do list and a poor weather
forecast for the weekend did not help alleviate our concerns. We were, however,
eager to participate in the contest and ready to give it our best shot.

The contest QTH, appropriately named ‘Wuthering Heights’ is located on the
outskirts of Nicosia and is remote in the sense that there are no permanent
power and water supply provisions and access involves a bumpy stretch of dirt
road. All equipment, feed lines, control cables, generator, antennas (less a
triband antenna that was already in place) had to be brought in and setup on
the day. We worked non-stop throughout Friday to prepare the station and put up
the antennas. Just before it got pitch-dark, we had a working station. For
practical purposes we opted to use a minimal antenna setup - one tribander, a
two element beam for 40m and an inverted-V for 80m. We also installed a phased
beverage antenna in the EU/USA direction.

It was great to work many friends in the contest and we thoroughly enjoyed the
pileups. We are taking away many useful lessons from this effort and are
already looking forward to the next one.

Congratulations to the teams with the BIG scores for their extra-ordinary
efforts.

73, Stavros 5B4AFM

FT-1000MPs, 2x ACOM 1000,
C-31XR(10/15/20m), 40-2CD(40m), inverted-V for 80m
180m long phased wire Beverages in one direction (320deg)