[3830] WPX SSB KG0F(W0UA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KG0F(W0UA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:42:02 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KG0F
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   70
   40:  783
   20:  875
   15: 1167
   10:  179
------------

Club:

Comments:

First single-op Phone contest I've entered for a long time...almost long enough
to have forgotten just how labor-intensive (Read: painful) Phone really is.  I
was trying to fight-off a pesky spring cold going in--not feeling well, and
ambivalent about tryng it--but after a (very) slow (and shaky) start I finally
shook it off and got some semblance of rythym going.  Chuck came out to check
on me at 4 AM Sunday.  I gave him my most pleading look and said, "Make it
STOP!"  He promised he would...at 0000Z Sunday evening!

>From looking at other scores, I see that I suffered on 10 Meters.  The rotor on
Chuck's upper 7 el yagi failed (a chronic issue) amd it was stuck SE the whole
weekend.  That, combined with S7 line-noise to the DX corners (Chuck has a
substation just north of him) limited my activity on that band.  Another couple
hundred QSOs(and some mults) there would've done wonders for the score. I
realized at some point that I was avoiding the band. That's OK, we'll get that
stuff sorted-out for the next one.

That X-Ray flare on Sunday morning...I've NEVER heard 15 Meters so quiet.
There wasn't even any band-noise--just soft RX noise--and a couple of weak
Caribbean signals.  Chuck strolled in with a coffee for me at about 8:30 AM
local and I asked him to listen there for a moment & see what he could make
of it.  He'd never heard anything like it, either!  Fortunately, the band came
back at around 12:30 local and saved me from the unhappy prospect of being
trapped on 20, running only Ws (no DX) for the remaining 6 hours.

OK, well I survived it--I think? And, doing it seemed to shake-off my cold. Go
figure?  Thanks to my long-time friend Steve, KG0F for allowing me the use of
his WPX-friendly call. And, needless to say, it's always a privilege and a
pleasure to operate from Chuck's station.  Even on Phone...